Below are the audition requirements and suggested pieces/books for each percussion instrument. Original copies and/or books must be used at the audition. Please bring all necessary sticks and mallets and an A tuning fork.
The applicant should prepare one snare drum solo or etude in concert style. Suggestions for repertoire include:
- Peters, Intermediate Snare Drum Studies
Advanced Snare Drum Studies
- Cirone, Portraits in Rhythm
- Goldenberg, Modern School for Snare Drum
- Delecluse, Twelve Etudes for Snare Drum
A rudimental solo is STRONGLY encouraged but not required. Suggestions include:
- Wilcoxon, Modern Rudimental Swing Solos
- Solos by Pratt, Hurley, Markovich, Wooten, etc.
The applicant should prepare one two-mallet and one four-mallet keyboard percussion solo. Suggestions include:
- Green, Rags, eg. Valse Brilliante, Ragtime Robin
- Bach, Cello Suites
- Smadbeck, Rhythm Song
- Gomez, Rain Dance
- Peters, Yellow After the Rain
- Miyoshi, Conversation
- Abe, Michi, Dream of the Cherry Blossoms
The applicant should prepare one solo or several short etudes for timpani. Suggestions include:
- Hochrainer, Etudes for Timpani, book 1
- Goodman, Modern Method for Tympani, roll and muffling etudes
- Firth, The Solo Timpanist
- Igelsrud, Soundings
- Carter, Saeta, March
Potential jazz majors as well as concert-style percussion should prepare 3-5 styles on drumset. Be prepared to solo and comp. within these styles.
The applicant may be asked to sight-read on any instrument. Students must bring all music, mallets, and a tuning fork to the audition.