Below are the audition requirements and suggested pieces/books for each percussion instrument. Original copies and/or books must be used at the audition. Please bring all necessary sticks and mallets and an A tuning fork.
The applicant should prepare one snare drum solo or etude in concert style. Suggestions for repertoire include:
- Peters, Intermediate Snare Drum Studies
Advanced Snare Drum Studies
- Cirone, Portraits in Rhythm
- Goldenberg, Modern School for Snare Drum
- Delecluse, Twelve Etudes for Snare Drum
A rudimental solo is encouraged but not required. Suggestions include:
- Wilcoxon, Modern Rudimental Swing Solos
- Solos by Pratt, Hurley, Markovich, Wooten, etc.
The applicant should prepare one two-mallet and one four-mallet keyboard percussion solo. Suggestions include:
- Green, Rags, eg. Valse Brilliante
- Bach, Cello Suites
- Smadbeck, Rhythm Song
- Klatzow, Song for Stephanie
- Miyoshi, Conversation
- Abe, Michi
Dream of the Cherry Blossoms
The applicant should prepare one solo or several short etudes for timpani. Suggestions include:
Hochrainer, Etudes for Timpani, book 1
Goodman, Modern Method for Tympani, roll and muffling etudes
Friese, Friese/Lepak Timpani Method, tuning etudes
Potential jazz majors and others with experience are encouraged to demonstrate different grooves (eg. jazz, rock, Latin), but drumset is not required for concert-style performers.
The applicant may be asked to sight-read on any instrument. Students must bring all music, mallets, and a tuning fork to the audition.